Empowering Parents Programme
Download this file here »
6 Week course starting Wednesday 10 February,
10 am - 1pm each day.
Institute for Lifecourse and Society, NUIG, Newcastle Road, Galway. Click here for directions.
The DESSA (the Disability Equality Specialist Support Agency) “Empowering Parents Programme” is a 6 session programme for parents of children with disabilities under the age of 12. It’s local and it’s free of charge. It won’t solve all your problems, but it will offer you information and advice which will help you to see things differently and to find ways of getting what you and your child need. You’ll be with other parents who are in a similar situation to you, so there will lots of opportunity for getting and giving real support. www.dessa.ie
Why an Empowering Parents Programme?
Parenting is a big responsibility. It is often full of joy, but it can also be very hard work.
It can often be even harder work if your child has a disability. All the usual things parents worry about can seem to get much bigger. Things like:
- How can I get people to see that my child is a child first, not just a “disability”?
- How can I make sure that my child gets what she or he needs?
- What’s the best way to deal with health services, schools, community services and all the rest?
- Who can help me and support me in all this?
- How can I make sure I don’t get worn out from all the stress?
"Empowering Parents" will:
- show you new ways of thinking about your child’s disability, which will help you to see new possibilities and ways of doing things
- tell you about your child’s rights, and how to achieve them
- explain who can help you to get what you need from public services and your local community
- help you to build your confidence and keep your spirits up!
This programme is part of DESSA’s Supporting Families Social Inclusion Strategy which aims is to develop a coherent approach to supporting families who experience disability facilitating them to have greater opportunities to participate in and contribute to the life of their communities.
Contact Cathy on 086 3847440 or Suzanne on 091 773466 to book your place today.
“Empowering Parents” Course Details:
- Starting Wednesday from 10 February for 6 weeks.
- Free of charge.
- Each session will last from 10am—1pm and involves lots of lively discussion and group activities. There are handouts to take home so that you can refer to them later.
- Venue (click to open link for directions): Institute for Lifecourse and Society—NUIG Newcastle Road, Galway.
- To book: Cathy McGrath on (086) 384 7440 email@example.com or Suzanne McKane on (091) 773 466 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Disability Federation of Ireland
2. Áiseanna Tacaíochta
3. Galway City Partnership
4. Muscular Dystrophy Ireland
5. Hospital Family Resource Centre – Step forward Disability group.
6. Limerick City Community Development Project
7. National Council for the Blind
9. Limerick Centre for Independent Living
10. Galway Centre for Independent Living
The Community Participation Training Network (CPTN) has been established to help support the capacity of and direct representation of people with disabilities within local community structures within the Galway and Limerick Regions.
CPTN has been developed with the support of the Wheel Training Links Programme 2014-2016